Re: Snapshots

On 02/16/2012 08:57 AM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
On Thu, Feb 16 2012 at  8:25am -0500,
Mark Woodward<markw@mohawksoft.com>  wrote:

I have been looking into LVM2 for a while now and while I think it
is useful for a range of applications, its seems pretty limited in
overall scope.

Is there any active development happening? Most of the code seems
like bug-fixes or minor tweaks. Is the snapshot system being
improved? Specifically, snapshots of snapshots? thin provisioned
snapshots or auto-expand (i.e. snapshots don't run out of space).
If you look at technologies like ZFS snapshots are far better
supported, but ZFS will probably never be real under Linux, and it
really is far more than is really needed.

So, I guess my questions are these: Is LVM in maintenance mode or is
there active development? If it is being actively developed, is
there a road map and is there a group or site specifically dedicated
to the development?
Um, where are you even getting this idea that LVM2 is in maintenance
mode?  Or that snapshots haven't improved?

Sorry to come off defensive but your entire post is founded on incorrect
understanding.

Understood, I apologize.
Anyway, if you look at the change history of the lvm2 repository (be it
cvs or git, cvs commits are mirrored to git) you'll see there have been
regular changes flowing in and most recently a very extensive evolution
of the code to add support for thin provisioning with highly efficient
snapshots (ala btrfs or ZFS).
I guess I missed that. I need to check out the changes, looks like you have auto-grow with monitoring? I was looking more towards the "snapshots of snapshots" ability. Is that on the radar?

try: git clone git://sources.redhat.com/git/lvm2

take a look at the WHATS_NEW file and tell me what you think.

Mike