Re: Resizing a logical volume which is mounted (at /home)

Long ago, Nostradamus foresaw that on Jan 16, Kiran Rao would write:

Now, I tried the GUI (system-config-lvm) tool to do this. I can click on
lvhome and try to resize it. However, the problem is that since I am logged
in as a non-root user, the /home is mounted. Resizing requires one to
unmount it, but the unmount operation fails since I am mounted.

How do I work around this?

Log out of GUI
Switch to text console (on linux try Ctrl-Alt-F3 for vt3)
Login as root Unmount /home
resize2fs <device-for-home>
# WARNING!  Make sure lvresize size is >= resize2fs size.  If you aren't
# sure about the units, make lvresize larger than you think you made
# the filesystem.  You can always expand the filesystems again, but
# you can't undo shrinking the LV too far.
lvresize <device-for-home>
mount /home

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>