Re: Recovering a volume after lost disk

On 11/28/2011 01:46 PM, lvm@qasmos.net wrote:
> I have a file system that spanned two physical disks on my Linux
> machine but one disk was lost and had to be pulled out due to
> excessive errors.  Are there instructions anywhere for being able to
> truncate the file system to the size of the good disk and mount it
> that way?  The disk that is left is good so data in it should be
> intact.  It is just that volume manager commands don’t see the volume
> in it, only the disk group itself.

You can add "zero device" replacement for missing PV, then dd
to another disk and run fsck/mount/truncate it.

I had example how to do that in slide [3/6] missing PV example
http://mbroz.fedorapeople.org/talks/LinuxAlt2009_2/

(maybe there is better description somewhere, dunno.
There are some slides which need updates though but principle
is the same.)

Milan