LVM Naming Convention

Hi All,
Recently, I came across the new LVM naming convention in RHEL 6. This convention places the output of "hostname -s" in the VG name. This doesn't really fit into the way I've previously setup VGs, which was to create a new VG for each type of disk attached to the system, e.g. RAID 1 SAS 10K (local), RAID 6 SATA 7.2K (SAN).

I guess I could modify the naming convention slightly as shown below:
- /dev/vg_`hostname -s`_[0-9][0-9]/lv_{foo|bar}

Another thought I had was that maybe I don't need a separate VG for each type of disk since the lvcreate/lvextend commands seem to be able to create/grow an LV by PV. My understanding is that this would allow you to skip the step of growing the VG by the PV, right?

Essentially, I'm just wondering what other folks in my situation are doing for LVM naming.

Thanks In Advance,
Mike