Re: Advanced Format disks mixed with regular disks?

On 3/22/2011 5:23 AM, Karel Zak wrote:

It seems (according to feedback from users) that newer WDxxEARS disks
are already fixed.
http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop/Problem-with-WD-Advanced-Format-drive-in-LINUX-WD15EARS/m-p/20675#M1245

Try

   hdparm -I /dev/<disk>

to see more details, for example:

     Logical  Sector size:                   512 bytes
     Physical Sector size:                  4096 bytes

and

    # cat /sys/block/<disk>/queue/physical_block_size
    4096

This isn't exactly an LVM issue (but I suppose it could be, and at least some people understand the problem here...). I'd like to do RAID1 with a WD 'Scorpio' laptop-size 750 gig drive which has 4k sectors but reports 512 as both the physical and logical size as one member with a full size Seagate with a matching number of sectors as the other. And I'd like to periodically swap the small drive, rotate offsite, and resync a different one. As things stand, it would take days for this sync to complete so I've been using full size drives for both instances. Is there some hope of getting the sync time down to 8 hours or so? And is that going to involve both updating to a fairly recent Linux distro (it's Centos 5.x now) and starting from scratch with new partition alignment?

For full disclosure, this is a backuppc archive with a bizallion hardlinks that would take many days to copy with a file-oriented approach and it's really a 3-member raid1 where 2 drives are always present and one swapped in long enough to resync. But those things shouldn't matter except for the difficulty in changing the partition alignment. The existing one runs to the end of the disk so I can't offset the start and still match up in size.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@gmail.com