Re: snapshot pools, lvm roadmap

> These guys have snapshot pools  working as an addon product.  It mostly
> works using straight device  mapper - but they have a kernel patch that is
> needed for some deadlock  issues.
>
> http://zumastor.org/

Thanks Stewart, but the last update to their subversion repo was in Aug-2008.
 It seems like a great solution, but I don't think I can put into production a
possibly stale project without a significant user base.  Have you tried it?

I perform SMB consulting and when a Linux solution fits the client's needs, I
always go with Linux.  But increasingly, I can't justify Linux file servers.
 I've written some cron scripts that take and release lvm snapshots on a
schedule, but compared to the Volume Shadow Copy of NTFS that Microsoft released
in 2003, it's just cumbersome and basic.  We're approaching 8 years without a
comparable response.  I'm just rather shocked when thinking about it.