Re: mounting a filesystem on LVM2

 This isn't right.

What you need to understand is that most file systems in unix and linux are built on the concept of a block special device. A block special device is a block based device driver. A block based device driver can, (in the general case), only read and write blocks from it's associated device, but it can do so in random order. (As distinct from a character special device which, in the general case, can only read and write sequential characters like /dev/tty, (although blocking may be supplied by the device driver))

You can mkfs any block special device. You can also use block special devices without using mkfs as sequential access devices and write whatever you want to them directly, although you'll need to use a blocking program like dd or tar in order to get them written solely in blocks. In the past this was used for writing to sequential block devices like tape drives.

Many physical devices come from the vendor with block special devices. This includes disk drives, floppy disks, optical drives, and things that mimic disk drives like some types of solid state storage.

There are also games that can be played at the block device level. Mkfs puts a file system on a block special device which allows it to be mounted in the systems file name space. Partitioning allows you to take a single block special device and break it up into several smaller block special devices, each of which could potentially be used individually in any of the ways I've described.

LVM is a way of aggregating block special devices. That is, it can take several block special devices and combine them to produce a single, artificial, (in the sense that there is no single associated physical device), block special device. Actually, it creates a pool of blocks from which block special devices can be allocated, so there could be multiple block special devices allocated from the same pool. And any of these devices could be partitioned or potentially reused in other block device manipulations. LVM is usually used to provide mirroring, striping, aggregation, run time relocation, snapshots, or some combination of these.

Other available block device manipulations of which I'm aware include compression, remote access, fail over fault tolerance, wear leveling, load balancing, and the ability to create a block based device using a file located on an existing file system.

You don't have to partition a block device before you mkfs it. You can, but you can also just mkfs it. This is true regardless of whether the device is associated with a particular physical device or whether the device was created using LVM.

--rich