Re: Rebuilding ext4 filesystem on an LV

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Bryan Whitehead <driver@megahappy.net> wrote:
Dig deep into your memory (or just try different combos) of running
mkfs.ext4 -n /dev/yourVG/yourLV

-n is like a dry run so you can look for the alternate superblock locations.

Using the above info, run fsck.ext4 -b <alt location> /dev/yourVG/yourLV

Tried all of that, with many different offsets. No luck.

Even if it can find an alternate superblock, I'm not confident the
fsck would be able to help much…

Do you mean in general, or just for recovery of the trashed drive? I didn't have much hope for the trashed drive, but I was hoping to recover what was on the other drives.

That said, I think you might be out of luck. Go ahead and give it a
shot, I'm curious how much data you'll get.

Me too :-).

But what bothers me is this message I get when I run e2fsck (which runs fsck.ext4):
"e2fsck: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/mapper/VolGroupX-LogVolX"

Why am I getting that?

thx for the response.

ken