Re: Imaged a drive, now kernel panics

On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 11:59:59PM -0400, Digimer wrote:
On 10-06-05 11:33 PM, Ray Morris wrote:
  You mentioned that the old drive is IDE.  If so,
You may be running into a couple problems I've had.
I take it the new drive is SATA, SAS, or SCSI?
Did you edit /etc/fstab to change hda to sda, hdb
to sdb, etc., before running mkinitrd?

Yup, simple SATA.

The existing kernel may not have the needed drivers
compiled in, the drivers for the particular chipset
and whatever SCSI drivers or modules are needed.
Assuming that rescue kernel matches the kernel on
the failed drive, mkinitrd _should_ take care of that
if /etc/fstab is correct. Might it might look at
mtab?

I just went through /etc grep'ing for and replace hda for sda. Also, the system has CentOS 4.4 and my rescue disk is CentOS 4.8...

i think you need to add a
scsi-hostadapter module_for_your_controller
line to /etc/modprobe.conf to have mkinitrd understand that.

Be sure to bind /proc, /sys, /dev, and /selinux
into the chroot. We want to be able to see /dev/sda
it order to set up to boot from it. Along the same lines,
double check that any other partitions, primarily /boot,
are mounted in the chroot.

Sorry, how do I bind those fs into chroot?
mount --bind /proc /chroot/proc

Luca Berra -- bluca@comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
 /"\