Re: Using LVM Mirroring to obtain a usable backup

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 21:15 +0200, Ambrogio De Lorenzo wrote:

> Imagine that upgrade change something in LVM configuration or in lvm
> software.

Well, that is most certainly a corner case.  LVM/device-mapper is very
stable and never caused me a problem of this nature.

> Snapshots are good only if you have the original data and all the
> modified data.

Of course.  You have to have LVM in order for snapshots to work.

> I know very well how snapshot works. And it's for this reason that I
> don't think it's a good choise for my scope

So why not take this opportunity to learn something new?  I love
opportunities like that.

> Yes, but LVM is already configured for this reason.
> Mdadm isn't. I tried to test it but I'm not able to obtain a mirror of
> an already partitioned and used disk.

So (to beat a dead horse) use a snapshot then.

b.