removing a missing vg

Hi folk,

I tried to remove some NetApp LUNs from a RHEL 4.6 system, and originally stale mappings remained in multipath -ll which I was not able to flush.  In production instance, I am unable to remove the multipath mappings because the vg is missing.  How can I deactivate a missing vg?

My test instance, I had the opportunity to return the test LUNs to service and was able to "vgchange -an" followed by a "multipath -f mpath1" which removed the mapings.

However, the four paths remain in my /dev/ heirarchy, and vgscan returns this for each of the devices that are no longer really there:

/dev/sdf: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error

How may I remove these missing devices?