Re: Re: About fstab and fsck

Stefan Monnier wrote:
filesystem... so considering its size, I'd turn it off. Hopefully the
"fsck takes _forever_" problem will die when btrfs becomes the
standard filesystem.

Just a reminder: Linux has xfs since 2002. A full-blown fsck on xfs is
a rare thing.

Similarly, I don't know of any case where fsck on an ext3 partition
turned out to be useful.  As a matter of fact, my home router's ext3

I wouldn't go that far. It all depends what messed the file system up in the first place. Ext3 bugs, minor scribbling and suchlike generally get tidied up reasonably well by e2fsck. It's quite true that with major corruption to the file system there's often not an awful lot left afterwards but that's true of many other file systems as well.

partition is never fsck'd (it would take way too much time to this poor
266MHz thingy to fsck my 1TB filesystem).

/me wonders why a router needs a 1TB fs :-)

Bryn.