Re: Re: Problems running my home-built LVM2

Stefan Monnier wrote:
I'm trying to use LVM2 on a small MIPS machine.  This machine uses
uClibc-0.9.29 with Linux-2.6.25.20 and has limited RAM and CPU power,
but does come with a 1TB drive which I'd rather manage with LVM.

I had no particular problems building the latest version of LVM2
for it.  And as far as I can tell, it's not fully broken,
but it's unusable: every run of `lvm' gives different results.
E.g. `lvm pvs' sometimes gives the expected output, sometimes lists
nothing at all, sometimes complains about missing volume groups,
sometimes "Incorrect metadata area header checksum" [as mentioned in an
earlier message on this list, incidentally].

I guess that using uClibc is the problem.

It sounds like a likely culprit, indeed.  But Googling indicates that
LVM2 has been compiled and used with uClibc for initramfs purposes so it
should work fine.  Tho maybe the problem is that those references I see

AFAIK, nobody is testing this regularly, especially not for the latest releases. Also many (most?) distributions are now shipping an initramfs with a full glibc environment so this use is becoming less common.

Regards,
Bryn.