Re: lvm2 specificiation

Les Mikesell wrote:
Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 01:54:00PM -0800, Vinay Srini wrote:
I have a requirement to mount multiple volume groups with the same name (VolGroup00, as that is the most popular default name), without first using vgrename (because something might go wrong, and I may not be able to restore the name back).
It was an early design decision that every VG on a system should have a different name. Departures from that won't get supported - because it's so
simple to choose different names!

How do you move drives around among machines then, if they have been created with the default names that will conflict?

These are flat files mounted in a directory across the network. Which when accessed, gets bytes across the network. (mounted using fuse libs)

eg. if the flat file is located in /mnt/over-network/flat,
# losetup -f --show /mnt/over-network/flat
/dev/loop0

# vgscan (this will find my VolGroup00)
# .. and so on

One example is mounting virtual machine drives from the virtual server on to my desktop. In this case, i would like to perform some operations on the drive (copy from/to etc), and unmount.

Is there an RFC for the lvm design that I could read throught to better understand this?

Vinay.