lvm2 specificiation

Hello,

New to linux-lvm, I have been looking around to understand lvm, and have a few questions.

I have a requirement to mount multiple volume groups with the same name (VolGroup00, as that is the most popular default name), without first using vgrename (because something might go wrong, and I may not be able to restore the name back).

I tried multiple variations including chroot to mount volumegroups. Seems to be some conflict with device mapper (since chroot uses the same kernel module).

Another way was to modify and compile my own version of lvm-tools to give volume groups another name (alias) before mounting them, and was not successful.

Can someone point me in a direction that I could try? Also, have been looking around, and cannot find the specification for lvm2. Can I get a pointer to that too.

thanks,
Vinay Srini