Re: Let's try again with the lvm mirror failure.

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Gary Desrochers <garybrenda@comcast.net> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Jaroslav Stava <jstava@redhat.com> wrote:
Hi,

Gary Desrochers wrote:
I will try one more time. Can someone please tell me if it is possible to recover a mirrored drive?  If not then why are so many people using mirrors out there?
Some info:
man vgreduce (see --removemissing)
man lvm (see --partial activation)

I did try that after reading about it.  It removed both the one that was missing and the one that was not missing before.  The partition is still there and I can get it to be seen but now I have to somehow get back the logical volume as well.  It no longer show up.  Well, it got reduced I guess?

Btw. it's a good idea to state your lvm version.
Sorry if I did not in my previous post.   Most of the lvm tools say:
  LVM version:     2.02.28 (2007-08-24)
  Library version: 1.02.22 (2007-08-21)
  Driver version:  4.12.0

> So how do you fix up from a crashed primary mirror?
To make the VG consistent again you use "vgreduce --removemissing VG".
That will remove any LVs that were (even partially) on any missing PV.
When mirror legs are lost this way then mirror get downconverted.
You may want to use it with --test first, to see what you would loose.

I had used --test and it looked like the only loss was that LV.

(And you may try --mirrorsonly, it should fail when anything except mirror
legs would be lost. Without guarantee, depends on version.)

Oh, so what you explained above that must be why the LV is gone now?  So how do I go from the LV that is now gone to an LV with only that one partition?  I cannot even see the volume group anymore since that seems to be now, "reduced"? :-)

As a second question, I know the extents and such.  Is there a way to copy off the data into a non-lvm partition?  At this point I will even take that.  I just want to get to the data.
Partial activation: "vgchange -ay -P". Doesn't make much sense
if you only lost a mirror leg.

Btw. when you need realtime response to your problem,
there is an irc channel #lvm on freenode (ask question and wait).

No thank you, at the moment I don't need real time response.  Any response is a help.  I had posted twice before this from last Saturday and this is my only response.  I was not even sure I was getting through to the group since I did not get any of the messages I posted previously.

Regards,
Jaroslav Stava

I do appreciate your response.  Any help you can give me I am grateful for.

Gary
Okay.  I guess that was possibly a little hard for a question.  How about is there a way to only copy the extent onto another partition?  That way I only copy the data?

Gary