Re: shift PV from disk to raid device?

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
Stuart D. Gathman wrote on Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:54:08 -0500 (EST):

Hallo, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to follow that logically and with possible commands, see below with comments/questions.

1) remove sda from md2 array

mdadm /dev/md2 --fail /dev/sda3 --remove /dev/sda3

2) use dd or pvremove to clear PV info in md2.  This should not
   affect sda since sda is removed from md2

md2 shouldn't have PV info. do you mean sdb3? (this would destroy my data on sdb3 then), so:

Are you sure? If the MD array is a straightforward RAID1 mirror of two SD devices then the PV data should also be visible on the MD device - see my other post.

vgchange dom0 -an (deactivate the LVs on sdb3)
pvremove /dev/sdb3 ?
After this point a pvdisplay should show /dev/sda3 as the active PV for dom0.
(At the moment I get: "using /dev/sdb3 not /dev/sda3")

3) pvcreate md2 as a new PV and add to volume group

pvcreate /dev/md2
I fear I will get "device busy", not? (just a feeling from recent experience with juggling with md and lvm that are on top of each other)
vgextend dom0 /dev/md2
(dom0 then consists of sda3 and md2)

If there are still active LVs (or if the LVM2 tools recognise md2 as a PV) then you will get an error here - either that the device could not be opened exclusively (LVs present) or that you can't initialise the new PV without '-ff' as it is already part of a volume group.

Regards,
Bryn.