Re: Mirrored LV

Just to answer some questions:

You can use just 2 disks to create a mirror and a disk log:
prompt> lvcreate --alloc anywhere -m1 -L 500M -n my_lv my_vg

I wish the allocation policy 'normal' (which is the default) would also do this... but instead you must choose a looser allocation policy to get what you want.

The reason that you want the disk-based log is to prevent all the extra work when you machine comes up.

The reason that LVM wants a separate disk for the log is so the head on the storage device doesn't need to go ping-ponging around the device. (The log is touched for almost every write.) So, its a performance thing... and possibly a not-wear-out-your-hardware thing too.

It won't matter if the master disk with the log dies. Your mirror will simply become a linear device composed of the last remaining disk anyway.

 brassow