Re: Server hangs when writing to LVM volume due to LVM Snapshots

Veselin Kantsev schrieb:
Hello Tomasz,
thank you much for the prompt reply.

The server has 6119216k of RAM in total.

That's quite a bit..
You would need terabytes of snapshots to fill it.
So perhaps it hangs for a different reason.

Capacitors? Hardware?

And most of it is shown as used all the time (To my knowledge thats just how
linux utilizes ram).

Please show the output of "free" command. The "buffers/cache" line is your current RAM usage, excluding buffers (more or less).

But from memory, the last time the server froze during copying (goes
back to normal once I kill the copy process) I didn't notice any extreme
RAM usage or swapping.

Kernel data in memory used for snapshots will not be swapped out.

As I'm rotating LVM snapshots weekly, there are 7 snapshots on the system
at all times, and 1 of them is active(the last one taken).

(...)

Do you see a flaw in this process that might be causing the issues?

Unless you have terabytes of data in snapshots, it shouldn't be a problem.

Does it freeze for good? Machine stops responding, stops logging, etc.?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org