Re: Adding PVs to a group

OT: this list seems a little on the dead side... is there a more active LVM oriented list that you are aware of?

The list is active, but its quiet on weekends ;)

Ok, so I guess the only question I have is - does it matter?

It doesn't really matter. Either method will work fine. I'd prefer to remove the partition, but that's only to keep things tidy - I don't like having unnecessary partitions.

Is my following evaluation correct? :

It is much simpler - because I can do this without rebooting - to just do:

vgextend vg2 /dev/sdb2, then

lvextend -L+100G /dev/vg2/var, then

resize_reiserfs -f /dev/vg2/var

than it is to:

delete /dev/sdb2, reboot, then

You could modify the partition table in one step rather than two. Use fdisk to delete both partitions then create a new partition that spans the entire device (just make sure that you create the partition with the same start block). The end result should look something like:

/dev/sdb1               1       58352   468712408+  8e  Linux LVM

resize /dev/sdb1, reboot, then

You may not need to reboot at all... you could use "partprobe" or "blockdev --rereadpt", but check /proc/partitions to make sure that the kernel knows of the new partition table. I've seen instances where partprobe doesn't actually cause the partition table to be refreshed.

run pvresize, *then*

run lvextend...

So, again - does it really matter? Is having my vg2 in one big LVM partition 'better' than having it consist of two different partitions?

There's no difference, LVM doesn't care.

--Dave