Re: question about install on a new disk

François Patte wrote:

Bonjour,

I have presently an install of fedora 6 on a disk sdb with partitions:

sdb1 / (ext3)
sdb2 LVM with lv: /usr, /var, /opt, /tmp, /home

I would like to perform a new install on sda with partitions:

sda1 / (ext3)
sda2 LVM with same lv except /home

How can I mount the "old" logical volumes located on sdb when the new
system will be running on sda?

You just need to make sure that you use a different Volume Group name for the new installation. If both installations have the same Volume Group name you'll run into difficulties. Its easiest to avoid duplicate names at install time.

As devices /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 etc. are created at boot time
in the /dev of the running system I will be unable to access the logical
volumes located on sdb....

You will be able to access them if you use a different volume group name. For example, if you use the volume group name "vg0" on the new installation, and "VolGroup00" on the old installation:

old# mount | grep mapper
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-root on / type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-usr on /usr type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-var on /var type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-opt on /opt type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-tmp on /tmp type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-home on /home type ext3 (rw)

new# mount | grep mapper
/dev/mapper/vg0-root on / type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vg0-usr on /usr type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vg0-var on /var type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vg0-opt on /opt type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vg0-tmp on /tmp type ext3 (rw)

Now assuming you want to mount the /home filesystem from the old installation:

new# mount /dev/VolGroup00/home /home
new# mount | grep home
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-home on /home type ext3 (rw)

You could even use the one volume group for all the logical volumes, but that's a bit trickier still.

--Dave