Re: Altering a Physical Volume's UUID on SATA

At 03:14 PM 8/20/07, you wrote:

On 20 Aug 2007 at 12:55, A.Lizard wrote:

Date sent:              Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:55:59 -0700
To:                     linux-lvm@redhat.com
From:                   "A.Lizard" <alizard@ecis.com>
Subject:                Re:  Altering a Physical Volume's UUID on
SATA
Send reply to:          LVM general discussion and development <linux-
lvm@redhat.com>
        <mailto:linux-lvm-
request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe>
        <mailto:linux-lvm-
request@redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

> At 07:48 AM 8/20/07, you wrote:
> While you probably describe a better solution, this was written to provide
> a general solution to the "change uuid" problem to the community that
> actually works on SATA and to provide a how-to reference for LVM filesystem
> cloning in the context of the "how to set up a mirror drive quickly and
> easily" section of an article in progress written for novices on how to
> transition from an IDE to SATA drive in a Linux workstation.
>
> dd + changing uuid + vgrename appears to be the quickest and easiest
> solution for LVM drive cloning, since the user won't have to worry about
> setting up drive partitions or creating a MBR or setting up an LVM
> filesystem manually.

I must be missing something hear. I currently handle the g4l (ghost for linux) project,

NOW I find out about this? Thanks for letting me know, I'll look into the project.

 which does disk and partitioning images using dd with ftp and
compression or can also do images to local drives or can clone disks.

I used dd between a pair of identical HDs.

Usually this is to the same size or larger disk, and I am aware of a problem if cloning from an IDE drive to an SATA drive. The system will not mount since the initrd doesn't include the SATA support.

Debian Etch (final) *does* support SATA, presumably including proper initrd setup. Installers before Etch beta-4 don't.
http://www.linuxhowtos.org/System/raid.htm

Thanks for writing this post, that is something I should have made clear in my article-in-progress and ... now have.

I did the initial drive setup by doing a minimal install of Debian Etch to the new disk to create partitions and the MBR and then opening a Live CD and rsyncing (in overwrite mode) hda1 > sda1 and hda5 > sda5, then changing the /boot/grub/device.map entry as follows:
(hd0)   /dev/hda

from /dev/hda to /dev/sda

As soon as I did this, and changed /dev/hda5 to /dev/sda5 in /etc/fstab, the system booted and operated normally. I am using that system to run the e-mail client in which I am writing this post right now. (Windows is running via a VMware Server guest)

For regular backup, I simply rsync from a modified Knoppix LiveCD with rsync and dar scripts that automatically mount the drive partitions and send the changes to a backup drive.

In my case, I upgraded a system from a failing IDE drive to a new much larger SATA drive. It did not work at first because of tha problem. After finding the problem, I was able to go back to the original drive, and I used a process I would have to look for to create and initrd with the support. Then just placed it in the boot directory, and the
system worked fine.

I use the g4l to image my lab system that include 98, XP and Fedora with
LVM partitions. We did use Norton Ghost in the past, but it failed with LVM
partitions. (Actually, it would backup the LVM, but something in the boot
partition would cause it to crash, and could get no support from Norton).
Then I found g4u, and later g4l.

> There are several solutions to drive cloning for experienced users and
> admins, but for the newbie, quick, easy, and as few steps as possible are
> in order.
>
> A.Lizard
>
> >Message: 6
> >Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:51:49 -0400 (EDT)
> >From: "Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart@bmsi.com>
> >Subject: Re:  Altering a Physical Volume's UUID on SATA
> >         hard drives     [solved]
> >To: LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm@redhat.com>
> >
> >On Sat, 18 Aug 2007, A.Lizard wrote:
> >
> > > I bit-copied a backup LVM disk using dd from a Knoppix LiveCD (based on
> > > Debian) and wound up with duplicate volume and uuids, meaning I couldn't > > > mount both the main and backup volumes simultaneously at the same time for
> > > subsequent backups. Of course, vgrename is ineffective to allow
> > > simultaneous mounting without changing the uuids.
> >
> >I would suggest copying (bitwise if desired) each LV individually to another
> >volume group with a different name (and UUID).  This gives you a lot more
> >flexibility with physical storage for primary vs backup volume groups.
> >Furthermore, your LV backup procedure can take snapshots of each LV first.
> >
> >--
> >               Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>
> > Business Management Systems Inc. Phone: 703 591-0911 Fax: 703 591-6154
> >"Confutatis maledictis, flammis acribus addictis" - background song for
> >a Microsoft sponsored "Where do you want to go from here?" commercial.
>
> member The Internet Society (ISOC), The HTML Writers Guild.
> "You can't have in a democracy various groups with arms - you have to have
> the state with a monopoly on power." Condoleeza Rice, US Secretary of State
> Personal Website http://www.ecis.com/~alizard
> business Website http://www.reptilelabs.com
> backup address (if ALL else fails) alizard@gmail.com
> PGP 8.0 key available by request or keyserver. Download PGP from:
> http://www.pgpi.org for e-mail privacy.
> Disaster prep info: http://www.ecis.com/~alizard/y2k.html
> ***Looking for INTELLIGENT new technology public policy
> alternatives?***               http://www.ecis.com/~alizard/technology.html

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes@kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii@gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI 3,499,710.445815 | EINSTEIN 1,053,218.871121 | ROSETTA
195,293.359932