Re: HDD Failure

Nick -- if I understand your situation properly, you effectively took one of the platters (the bad drive) out of the drive (the vg) and now you still want to be able to access the entire drive ... ?? I don't think that's going to happen.

Off to the backups, I'd say ...

-- Mitch

Nick wrote:
Hello List,

I have a 3x 120GB HDD that are all lumped into one LVM volume. Recently,
one died so I removed it using.

# vgreduce --removemissing Vol1

This worked fine but now I can't mount the volume group:

root@nibiru:~# cat /etc/fstab | grep Vol
/dev/mapper/Vol1-share /share          ext3    defaults        0       2
root@nibiru:~# mount /share
mount: special device /dev/mapper/Vol1-share does not exist
root@nibiru:~#

I've no idea why it says it doesn't exist as I thought all I did was
remove missing PE's from a VG - not remove the actual VG!

Can anyone help me get my data back? Thanks for any advice.

Nick