Re: Lost logical volume?

Tom+Dale wrote:

Greetings.
I am hoping that some LVM experts can help me out. I have a partial volume group that spans two drives and I would like to recover the logical volume that was on it so that the data is accessible. The group (VolGroup00) was originally set up spanning part of one drive and all of the other drive (both IDE). The group was entirely applied to a single logical volume (LogVol00) to be mounted as /video. This was working until I tried to make some changes and I fear that I may have lost the data. I cannot seem to resolve this problem anywhere else. I have spent almost two weeks searching for clues and asking for help in other forums, but I do not yet have a solution. I hope to provide all of the useful information below.
*History*
I am relatively new to linux, having built my own PVR using Fedora and MythTV during the last year. I have relied heavily upon HowTos and guides written by other users. One of the guides that I followed instructed me to set up XFS using LVM which would allow me to span multiple hard disks. Recently, I added a new SATA drive to my MythTV system. The new drive was designated as /dev/sda. It appeared to add into the existing volume group without any problem, though I did not get it to the point where the space was accessible. I planned to further research that problem; however, the new hard drive failed before I got that far. Here’s what things looked like after removing the drive:
[root[at]mythserver ~]# pvdisplay
Couldn't find device with uuid 'fxlccO-4li0-nmyD-9avZ-Vc60-GGWX-jUhqOv'.
Couldn't find device with uuid 'fxlccO-4li0-nmyD-9avZ-Vc60-GGWX-jUhqOv'.
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name /dev/hda5
VG Name VolGroup00
PV Size 66.12 GB / not usable 0
Allocatable yes (but full)
PE Size (KByte) 4096
Total PE 16926
Free PE 0
Allocated PE 16926
PV UUID 317l2C-oay1-TWFG-5NTX-XJS3-vLal-Xh5bBL

--- Physical volume ---
PV Name /dev/hdb
VG Name VolGroup00
PV Size 298.09 GB / not usable 0
Allocatable yes (but full)
PE Size (KByte) 4096
Total PE 76311
Free PE 0
Allocated PE 76311
PV UUID nfLxS1-0u3t-5Zr9-57iu-1oZe-Bkkd-75SERQ

--- Physical volume ---
PV Name unknown device
VG Name VolGroup00
PV Size 232.88 GB / not usable 0
Allocatable yes
PE Size (KByte) 4096
Total PE 59617
Free PE 225
Allocated PE 59392
PV UUID fxlccO-4li0-nmyD-9avZ-Vc60-GGWX-jUhqOv

Tom. I'm sorry that not too many people have looked into this with you.

First, what were the results of the "vgreduce --removemissing VolGroup00" command? I'm generating a theory here. That VolGroup00 had a single LV, LogVol00, and the disks /dev/hda5 and /dev/hdb. Then--I'm guessing here--you did a "pvcreate /dev/sda" .. And followed that with a "vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/sda" .. Then perhaps did you do a "lvextend -l <some number> /dev/VolGroup00 /dev/sda"? After that, at some point, /dev/sda went dead. Am I close? Could you recount to us what steps you took to "expand" the VG? I realize you may have been asleep, but this data is crucial. When I do any LVM work I typically record all my input and output in a text editor and save it or print it out for safety..

So, the questions are:
1) Was that LV the ONLY LV in the VG?
2) You did try to expand the LV to include /dev/sda?
3) Did you use any GUI to do this? Or did you rely on the command line?

Peter