Re: SAN setup with host mirrored disks

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 12:04:01AM +0200, Fiederling, Daniel wrote:
Hi,

I'm relatively new to SAN setup with linux boxes, so maybe this is a
very easy question. Today I set up a linux box with two qlogic hbas,
each one is connected to a EMC Clarion. So I got two disks (/dev/sda and
/dev/sdb) from my storages that I have to mirror on the host system.
There is on mirror set up in the san environment!

How can I set up mirroring of the two disks if I want to use lvm for the
ease of later disk expansion? If I use raidtools (md-stuff) will it be
do not use raidtools, it is an obsolete tool. use mdadm if you want md.

possible to expand the two disks and the logical disk without data loss?
yes

What are the needed steps if I have to increase the disk space? First
expand the md devices through raidreconf and then expand the volume

you can use a recent mdadm with the --grow option instead of raidreconf

another option is to create and additional lun instead of enlarging the
current one, lvm will handle a vg on multiple pvs just fine.

Is it possible to use lvm for mirroring physical volumes? If this is
possible I expect that this will be the better solution.

recent lvm2 support mirroring of logical volumes, so you could use this
instead.
it is a relatively new feature and i did not test it personally, so
maybe someone else on the list can give you more feedback.

Regards,
L.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca@comedia.it