Re: vgchange doesn't activate the logical volume

The device in question is /dev/sdb. At the end of the vgdisplay that I included you can see that the physical volume is /dev/sdb. sda is a volumn that doesn't exist and should be disregarded. Sorry about the confusion.

Danny

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dieter Stüken" <stueken@conterra.de>
To: "LVM general discussion and development" <linux-lvm@redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 10:42 AM
Subject: Re:  vgchange doesn't activate the logical volume

Daniel Loney wrote:
suse01:~ # vgdisplay -v vg02| more
    Using volume group(s) on command line
    Finding volume group "vg02"
  /dev/sda: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error

looks like a bad sector/read error on /dev/sda.
You may verify this either by a simple

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=512 iflag=direct

to find the bad sectors number. Or you may run
"badblocks -s /dev/sda", which does roughly the same.

I strongly suggest to use smartctl to monitor the state of your
disk (see http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net). Most problems
show up here some time before your disk finally dies.

Try "smartctl -d ata -a /dev/sda" to display the disks error log.
If you did not use it before, you might have to enable it by:
"smartctl -d ata -s on /dev/sda".

All disks have spare sectors they can use, if some sector gets broken
But the sector is not automatically replaced, as most people believe.
This does not happen until some new data is written to that sector.
If your bad sector occurs within the LVM metadata description of /dev/sda
you may recover it by using "vgcfgrestore" to repair the broken LVM header.

I did not use vgcfgrestore before, so I can't describe the necessary steps
in detail. May be someone else can help here...

Dieter.

*************************************************************************************** The information contained in this communication is proprietary to Israel Aircraft Industries Ltd. and/or third parties, may contain confidential or privileged information, and is intended only for the use of the intended addressee thereof. If you are not the intended addressee, please be aware that any use, disclosure, distribution and/or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your computer. Thank you.