Re: LVM and Device Mapper

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 10:20:17AM -0500, Kelly Sauke wrote:
C'est Pierre wrote:
That kinda worked out. I tried your example as-is, and it still shows
'Found duplicate PV' messages and additionally it said "vg sucessfully
created" but in fact, when I issue a vgdisplay, it doesn't show the vg
created.

Try excluding all of your sd paths in the filter line.  If you look at my
example, it seems my local disk /dev/sda2, my mpath devices and then it hides
everything else.  Thats how I got the 'Found duplicate PV' errors to go away.

After setting that, run an lvmdiskscan to verify that its seeing your multipath
devices and excuding the sd devices.

yes, please edit your filter line, so it will ignore the /dev/sd*
devices

 (erased the other VG)
 --- Volume group ---
 VG Name               clusterfs
 System ID
 Format                lvm2
 Metadata Areas        1
 Metadata Sequence No  2
 VG Access             read/write
 VG Status             resizable
 MAX LV                0
 Cur LV                1
 Open LV               0
 Max PV                0
 Cur PV                1
 Act PV                1
 VG Size               50.00 GB
 PE Size               4.00 MB
 Total PE              12799
 Alloc PE / Size       25 / 100.00 MB
 Free  PE / Size       12774 / 49.90 GB
 VG UUID               QxEuzf-SJMU-mmlo-c4mr-6SLs-AU6X-X8A6Fi

# lvdisplay
 (skipped the others)
 --- Logical volume ---
 LV Name                /dev/clusterfs/ora1
 VG Name                clusterfs
 LV UUID                hAt2Tx-Tf2U-oD10-3W77-sIo6-Q3nf-5fG3AT
 LV Write Access        read/write
 LV Status              available
 # open                 0
 LV Size                100.00 MB
 Current LE             25
 Segments               1
 Allocation             inherit
 Read ahead sectors     0
 Block device           253:8

seems the lv was not activated, i don't know why, maybe some interaction
with udev?

# mkfs.ext3  /dev/clusterfs/ora1
mke2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
mkfs.ext3: Device size reported to be zero.  Invalid partition
specified, or
       partition table wasn't reread after running fdisk, due to
       a modified partition being busy and in use.  You may need to reboot
       to re-read your partition table.

try vgchange -a y again after fixing your lvm.conf as explained above.

L.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca@comedia.it
       Communication Media & Services S.r.l.