upgrade problems

Hi. I recently upgraded a machine from Fedora Core 2 to Debian Sarge. I'm now trying to mount 2 large (~5TB each, on separate hardware RAIDs) LVM volumes that were created on FC2 and worked fine with the old setup. The Debian machine is running kernel 2.6.9, and both RAIDs were powered off during the upgrade process (ie. there's no way they got formatted and/or deleted).

I've installed lvm-common on the Sarge machine. When the machine boots, it sees the RAIDs fine; /proc/scsi/scsi shows both RAIDs and fdisk sees all the partitions. But when I run 'vgscan', it returns instantaneously with a 'No volume groups found' message. Watching the RAIDs while this runs, they show no activity, while the other disks in the machine do show activity. 'lvscan', 'pvscan', 'vgcfgrestore', etc. all do the same, with no disk activity:

opie:/home/david/OLD/lvm/backup# vgcfgrestore -t -f raid0 raid0
  Test mode: Metadata will NOT be updated.
  Couldn't find device with uuid '79liEz-kmVG-OxQ6-cwNy-FQR9-k0IG-gD22qr'.
  Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group raid0.
  Restore failed.

opie:/home/david/OLD/lvm/backup# uname -a
Linux opie 2.6.8-2-686-smp #1 SMP Tue Aug 16 12:08:30 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
opie:/home/david/OLD/lvm/backup# dpkg -l | grep -i lvm
ii  lvm-common     1.5.17         The Logical Volume Manager for Linux (common
ii  lvm2           2.01.04-5      The Linux Logical Volume Manager

The whole thing is behaving as if LVM just doesn't want read the disks. Can anyone suggest anything I can try here? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--david