Re: Problem with LVM2 and device-mapper

Patrick,

I am using Scientific Linux CERN SLC release 4.1.
got the some problem after upgrade too.

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Patrick Lawrence (LVM List) wrote:

Hello,

I am using CentOS 4 and just did an upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2 on my x86_64
home server.  After a reboot, one of my vol groups stopped working.
It's a volume group spread across 2 disks and when I try to activate
that volgroup I get the following:

<snip>
[root@hetfield mapper]# vgchange -ay VolGroup02
  device-mapper ioctl cmd 9 failed: Invalid argument
  Couldn't load device 'VolGroup02-DVD'.
  1 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup02" now active

 Got the some problem after upgrade too.
For me it was "/sbin/dmraid -i -a y" in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
which grab and lock somehow PV on PDC (hmmm. RAID card).
I don't know how it happend in details but looks like
"rpm -e dmraid" should help.

<snip>

and the relevant portion of the /var/log/messages has:

<snip>
Oct 17 08:45:07 hetfield kernel: device-mapper: dm-linear: Device lookup
failed
Oct 17 08:45:07 hetfield kernel: device-mapper: error adding target to
table
<snip>

My other two volgroups are working fine.  It's just this third one that
has problems.

I did quite a bit of googling yesterday, but I didn't come up with much
although I have to confess that I know jack about the device mapper...

Is there anything I can provide to diagnose the problem further?  Since
CentOS tracks RHEL4 very closely, I suspect this affects RHEL4 as well.

Regards,

Pat

Best regards,
 Valery Mitsyn