Directly using a logical volume

Title: Directly using a logical volume

        I have a system connected to a SAN via Fibre Channel interface. The system sees 3 disk sdb, sdc and sdd. I put them in a volume group and then allocated some logical volumes. If I use the logical volume to read and write to directly for my application, if there is an error on a write, I assume the write system call will return an error. Or does the write give a good return value after putting the data in some system buffer to be written later? Then is the write of the system buffer fails later, my program would not know.

Thanks:
        Jack Allen