LVM2 Spec

I've read over the LVM HowTo and searched previous mailing lists and the
source code for lvm, but I can't seem to find any specification for lvm.
It would be nice to know what exactly is written to the disk(s) and where.
 Perhaps is is not as common to make these available as it is for network
protocols.  Does anyone know where I can find such a low level detailed
spec of lvm2?

Sean