Problem with Metadata at the beginning of the disk

Hi All,

I am having a problem with the metadata at the beginning of the disk. The
disk is a whole disk with a valid partition table. The disk is part of a
volume group. The operations I am trying to do are the following

1. pvcreate /dev/sdf
2. vgcreate samplevg  /dev/sdf
3. Open the device (/dev/sdf) read only (using open system call)
4. read 512 bytes from the beginning of the device.

 I expect atleast the ID "HM" to be at the beginning of the disk but the
first block (512 bytes) is all 0. Anybody have any ideas how I can get the
information like the id, version etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Narasimha Krishnakumar.