disk capacity discrepancy: is it 1000 versus 1024?

I originally had a hardware RAID with fourteen 400 GB drives of usable capacity (Hitachi 7K400) . That's 5600 GB altogether. That's what both fdisk and df report (filesystem was ext3).

When I instead created an LVM2 physical volume on the device, I get just 5.09 TB.

Is LVM eating several hundreds gigabytes of space or is it the case that LVM uses terminology in a strict multiply by 1024 fashion versus everything else, which is multiplying by 1000. In that case, I guess the drives aren't really 400 GBs. :-(

However, it appears that parameters passed to LVM commands are interpreted using x1000, not x1024.

other keywords: gigabinarybytes, gibibytes, Gi, terabinarybytes, tebibytes, Ti.
--

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@aecom.yu.edu