Re: understanding large LVM volumes

Piw wrote:

NiHao Stephane,

How does the Physical Extent size affect the maximum VG size?
How does one go about chosing a PE size for a VG?

Those limits (65536 LE per LV) does not apply to LVM 2 and 2.6 kernel.
Your LV can have MUCH more LE (I dont know if there is even reachable
limit  for  this).  One  and only feedback (if you can notice this) is
that  userspace  programs for managing LVM works _little_ slower, when
there is enormous number od LE to administrate.
I tested it with 4GB LV on 16MB LE (but I didnt see difference)

I figured that this limitation was gone in LVM 2, but I have not read that anywhere.
And, as Stephane pointed out, the man page for vgcreate states the limits which created more confusion for me.
I was able to create a single LV from my 4.3TB VG. There are 1134586 PE in this one LV. Now I understand why this is possible in LVM 2.

What I am still not sure about is how to choose a PE size for this large VG.
What are the benefits of a small PE size compared to a large PE size?
As mentioned, it does seem like a larger PE might be more efficient since there are fewer LEs per LV to manage.
Are there any other benefits?

But think hard about it....
Are you sure you can't "logicaly" split it ? and that the 10 TB of
data will concern the same software or pool of user and so on ?
Are you sure you will not have to move only a part of the data one day ?
(add a new server and need to export some of the data to import it
to the new server ?)
Also think about how you will (if you need) backup the whole thing...

When I create logical structure of my LVM diskspace, I always think about those things:

1) Never assign ALL your disks at once between VGs.
You can ALWAYS add disk later to vg, according to your needs. Removing
involves  pvmove,  whitch is more stressing then vgextend. (of course,
if  U  have  more, then 5-6 disks). And almost all filesystems support
extending of FS, but not all like shrinking.

2) Never create BIG vg, unless they are base on raid disks.
Damage of one disk whitch is not in RAID, damages VG (of course, U
can recreate structure of vg by clonig PV ID, but filesystems will be
damaged - mabye in more then one LV.)

There is a lot of redundancy built into our data archives; RAID-5, hot spare drives, cold spare drives, huge tape backup, off site tape backup. This is the first time an archive will grow over the 32 bit, pre LBD, 2TB limit.
I just want to make sure I get the setup correct and that I understand all the possibilities before we commit to a configuration. Recreating a 10TB data store after the data is present takes a *long* time.

Thank you for all the info and discussion.

--
..:.::::
Randall Jones     GST      NASA Goddard Space Flight Center