Re: strange logical volume issue

--On 11 January 2005 14:24 +0000 "Alasdair G Kergon agk@redhat.com" wrote:

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:42:40PM +0100, messmate wrote:
there is somewhat strange with a lv of mine: lv_usr-local.
Marked as /dev/mapper/vg1_hda1-lv_usr--local    and
as /dev/vg1_hda/lv_usr-local  !

See the (-) differences.

A hyphen in the name in /dev/mapper separates the volume group name from the logical volume name.

If you put hyphens in either of those names they
get quoted by doubling them up.

Yes indeed. Sadly (I now feel) I created my VG with the name "VG-1" and now I see exactly this "problem."

So far as I can see, I have a VG with this naming issue, some LVs with *names" which reflect the same problem, and some entries in /etc/fstab (I'm running Debian on this machine, FWIW) which contain associated /dev/mapper names.

Now that someone has brought this up, can someone possibly tell me a safe way to go about renaming things? I was thinking of something like "VG1" :)

--
Andrew Hilborne