Cleanly removing a PV from an LV or, how do I get more available extents?

I've been happily using LVM for a couple of months now to aggregate a bunch of disks together into one logical drive for a Debian box that I use as an over-the-network backup of my various other boxen. Thus far, it's been great.

Recently however, I started getting parity errors on one of the drives that's in my logical volume. It's a tiny drive that I threw in there merely because I had it, and its loss will not be missed. I just want to remove it altogether and pretend like it never existed. I'd like to preserve the data that's on the drive, if possible, but if not -- I'm ok with losing it, since that data will come back next time I run my backups.

I read the FAQ, the HOWTO and scanned the mailing list archives and it appears that I need to do a pvmove to get the data off of that drive, and then a vgreduce to remove it from the volume group. Unfortunately, when I try to do the pvmove, I get:

% pvmove /dev/sdb
No extents available for allocation

I'm assuming that this means that there's nowhere to move the data that is on /dev/sdb. I further assume this means that I need some free physical extents somewhere. This is where I'm confused. When I set up LVM, I allocated all of my spare drives to it. So I have a 271GB
logical volume of which I'm using only 32GB. So I know that I have free space to move the data around; I just don't know how to do it.

So. How do I get more free physical extents inside my logical volume? I feel confident that there's an easy answer for this that I overlooked, but I can't find it. Hopefully the context below will help a bit.

Thanks in advance,
-Bharat

================================

% lvdisplay
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/data/data1
  VG Name                data
  LV UUID                abrnMJ-2MqB-tkQl-g8g6-xYXx-KLE8-PMbNdG
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                275.19 GB
  Current LE             70448
  Segments               4
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           254:0

% vgdisplay
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               data
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        4
  Metadata Sequence No  8
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                255
  Cur LV                1
  Open LV               1
  Max PV                255
  Cur PV                4
  Act PV                4
  VG Size               275.19 GB
  PE Size               4.00 MB
  Total PE              70448
  Alloc PE / Size       70448 / 275.19 GB
  Free  PE / Size       0 / 0
  VG UUID               PjytLd-X99E-iUTf-drKH-42dl-2QHO-6qBcmB

% pvdisplay
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sda
  VG Name               data
  PV Size               34.20 GB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  PE Size (KByte)       4096
  Total PE              8755
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          8755
  PV UUID               q8ElTG-XOoB-nQy6-8VTU-wZlR-uj3b-Vrnxlp

  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sdb
  VG Name               data
  PV Size               8.55 GB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  PE Size (KByte)       4096
  Total PE              2189
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          2189
  PV UUID               dDZOFg-nQES-cCgO-l5KF-9JIz-i2hh-OpcP1V

  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sdc
  VG Name               data
  PV Size               34.25 GB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  PE Size (KByte)       4096
  Total PE              8768
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          8768
  PV UUID               B8dtE3-gdB7-aakQ-p4EY-CysX-b6VU-LrBYmc

  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/hde7
  VG Name               data
  PV Size               198.19 GB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  PE Size (KByte)       4096
  Total PE              50736
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          50736
  PV UUID               bz31lu-ck6I-439l-IbWs-hb40-g6rm-rWE3oq