Re: Re: corrupt /dev/lvm - bizzare properties

Måns Rullgård wrote:

Chris Doherty <chris.doherty@adelaide.edu.au> writes:

root@connect4:~# ls -la /dev/lvm
?---rws-w-  8306 840966198 976250230 875573298 Sep 24  2004 /dev/lvm

Your filesystem seems to have taken some heavy blows. You should fsck it properly. You might need the -f flag to fsck to force a complete check if filesystem is marked clean.

the filesystem can't be mounted (which is the really worrying part) so i can't fsck it.

A filesystem that is to be fscked can and may *never* be mounted when performing an fsck. Usually all fsck tools won't do anything but stop if the

oops, sorry my last statement was ambiguous. what i meant was that the filesystem can't be mounted *and* fsck refuses to acknowledge that it is (or was?) a filesystem.

The filesystem containing /dev has been damaged somehow.  You should
fsck it.  Most likely fsck will remove /dev/lvm so you'll have to
recreate it with proper values.  Don't just rm it.  Something bad has
obviously happened and changing things without a proper fsck can make
things worse.

thanks. i'll try this tonight and report back. :) my limited understanding of LVM leads me to believe that the volume group and logical volume within it are actually still safe and sound in /dev/vg1

>>root@connect4:~# ls /dev/vg1/
>>total 124
>>dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Feb  6 18:46 ./
>>drwxr-xr-x   22 root     root       118784 Feb  8 14:19 ../
>>crw-r-----    1 root     disk     109,   0 Feb  6 18:46 group
>>brw-rw----    1 root     disk      58,   0 Feb  6 18:46 lv1

the partition tables on the disks (hdc and hdd) still look ok (sorry i'm at work now and don't have the output of fdisk to demonstrate it) so i expect the contents of those disks is also ok. as i've already shown, i can't check the the LVM physical volumes with pvdisplay because the kernel module won't / can't be loaded.

is /dev/lvm just a character device which is used to transmit data from the volume group (vg1) to the device driver? you mention that fsck will probably remove /dev/lvm and that i should recreate it. is there any risk to vg1/lv1 if i do that? (as i still haven't successfully backed up anything in it's current state)