Re: [SuperRescue] LVM support on Mandrake CD 1

Hi,
I have had problem with my root partition which is often (twice) garbaged by e2fsck with dupplicated file names!
It may also affect the Logical Partitions (/usr, /var, /home, /tmp, swap) if someone says Y for e2fsck.

So I wanted to have a backup of my root partition both as an additional logical volume and as a backup (250 Mb) on a host from my network.

Doing the backup partition on a host with dd made me angry because I spent time to mount root partition with NFS (see below) in order to suppress the "access denied".

But the main purpose of my search was to have a rescue disk with LVM loaded and ready to use. In a first step, I did not know how to do it with Mandrake CD 1 (rescue disk) and moved to Superrescue which has been described in Linux Planet as being able to do it (http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/4294/9/, article from Bill Von Hagen). But I did not found the lvm-mod modules neither the LVM programs. So I wrote the enclosed mail to the Super-Rescue mailing list.

Meanwhile I looked at some archives of the LVM mailing list and tried back to use the Mandrake CD 1.
This is the reason for I am sending this mail to the LVM mailing list too. It is a very Newbie message but I spend a lot of time to get the information.

Mandrake 9.1 allows you to directly setup a computer with LVM partitions instead of separated fixed partitions (just do Advance when partitioning or something like that) but the rescue mode is not documented in case of a problem like I got.

Before entering Mandrake rescue details below, I also understood the advantage of the multiuser mode with the SuperRescue disk (I was asking the question). The advantage is that with this disk and a network, you can have a complete KDE environment with google access for example, only from the CD and without any mounted disk from your computer (So you can boot Linux from a Windows XP PC or whatever PC OS if you are invited somewhere without your laptop but only this CD!).

But back to the Mandrake 9.1 CD 1 (rescue). Here is how you can mount your LVM partitions or restore them if you have had problem.

- Boot from CD 1 Mandrake
- Type F1
- at boot: type rescue
  loqdkeys fr # For french keyboard only
  modprobe lvm-mod # it is on the CD (I haven't found it on the Superrescue disk).

- you must have access to vgscan and vgchange and their libraries. In my case my root partition
  is still an ext3 native partition (/dev/hda3 for example) and is working. So I only have to mount it.
  mkdir /mnt/root
  mount  -t ext3 /dev/hda3 /mnt/root

- then I can activate vgscan
  /mnt/root/sbin/vgscan
and my Volume Group is recognized.
  /mnt/root/sbin/vgchange -ay
and my Logical Volumes are recognized

Then I have to setup the network, mount the backup partition on a host and restore (or backup) the partition.