Remove VOlume group that doesn't exist

Hello,

After my couple of disks died I have been left with one working volume group vg02 and
one non-existant volume group vg01 which I would like to remove.
Since /dev/sdd2 and /dev/sde2 no longer exist I am unable to remove the volume group with the usual method:

/sbin/vgremove vg01
VG data differs between PVs /dev/sdd2 and /dev/sde2
Volume group "vg01" doesn't exist

Actually /dev/sdd2 does still exist as a normal formatted linux partition so I don't want to damage that while trying to remove my volume group.

How do I tell lvm that vg01 no longer exists? It is not in lvmtab so I am unsure where it store this info.

Many Thanks,

melinda