Re: mount root filesystem on lvm

hello again,

when i do a vgscan, i always get some messages like ...

SystemID universe1010067245 on /dev/md11 differs from universe1010064286 for volume group

can anyone explain me, what this message means??? it seems that for all physical volumes, for which i get this message, the volume group, in which the pyhisical volume resides, cannot be activated.

thanks for any explanation in advance,

manfred

Manfred Gschweidl wrote:

hello and thanks for your help.

i modified my linuxrc file on the ramdisk, so that it does a "cat /proc/devices" and "ls -l /dev/mapper". so i found out, that the device number is also 254 and with the ls-comand i get the information that the minor number was 6 (with the 2.4.12 kernel i couldn't find ot out, because there i was not using the device-mapper interface).

after appending this to the new kernel on startup, the root filesystem can now be found, and the system boots.

but now i have an problem... ;-)

when booting up with the initial ramdisk, and doing a "lvm vgscan" and "lvm vgchange -a y", all volume groups and logical volumes are found ("ls /dev/mapper" on the end of the linuxrc script shows all found logical volumes).
but after freeing memory of the initial ramdisk and mounting of the root fs, now one of the entries in "/dev/mapper" exists, except the "control" entry. and "lvm vgscan" and "lvm vgchange -a y" does not help. so i cannot mount any other logical volumes?????
the kernel complaines, that maybe a old kernel driver is using the volume groups, but how can that be???

cat /proc/devices show up, that there is still an entry for lvm, but also for device-mappper. is this maybe the error???

if you can't help me out with this, this is no problem, because you helped me a lot, since i can boot now...;-)
but the "/usr", "/var".... directories are also residing on lvm volumes...

thanks for your detailed help,

manfred