Adding dasd

Pardon the newbie question.

I want to a an additional dasd pack to SuSE Linux SLES 7.2 running under Hercules. I have initialized the pack but how do I get Linux to recognize it?

I am running out of space on my / tree. I have both /var and /home on other packs and the pack I am trying to add, I would like to make the /usr mount point. I am planning to copy the /usr from the / pack to the new pack and then mount the new pack as /usr. Will that work?

Thanks for your help
Dave
Dave Shaffer
Dave@litehaus.org