Re: [linux-lvm] Severe problem: data lost while adding a partition

Hello all,

Sorry to reply to myself, but I really am stuck on this one. Any pointers would be much appreciated...

I have gotten the vgcreate to work (this was caused by me now using devfs (so I need to supply DevFS filenames). I also executed an lvcreate -l 399 (which was the maximum number of PE's available) on the resulting volume group. However, I cannot mount the resulting logical volume.
It used to contain a reiserfs filesystem, a reiserfsck --check yields no errors, but I am unable to mount the filesystem.
I am getting rather lost now.....

Hope someone can help!

Best regards,

Sander

Sander Alberink wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for the reply. At the moment I have re-initialized the PV's via pvcreate -ff. However, trying to reconstruct a new volume group yields me the following output:

# vgcreate -v home /dev/hda[1,4,6,7]
vgcreate -- checking volume group name
vgcreate -- checking volume group directory existence
vgcreate -- locking logical volume manager
vgcreate -- checking volume group "home" existence
vgcreate -- counting all existing volume groups
vgcreate -- reading all physical volume data from disks
vgcreate -- checking if all given physical volumes in command line are new
vgcreate -- checking physical volumes name "/dev/hda1"
vgcreate -- checking physical volumes name "/dev/hda4"
vgcreate -- checking physical volumes name "/dev/hda6"
vgcreate -- checking physical volumes name "/dev/hda7"
vgcreate -- no valid physical volumes in command line
#

So apparently something is not OK. But what can that be? Any pointers would be appreciated!

I really appreciate your help in this. However, I am rather reluctant to
dive in and be hasty in my commands. I really don't want to destroy my
data.... As I understand it, pvcreate -ff would re-initialize the
physical volume. As I understand it, I will have to add them to a volume
group again. But will the filesystem still be intact after that then?

Sorry if this sound like a beginner question to you. It very well might
be, but I'd rather be careful....

Thing to understand is that LVM commands update a small
header on the phyiscal volume. You can munge the LVM
portion without touching your data at all. In this case
the data has no way of knowing that anything happend to
the LVM portion of life: they live in entirely different
parts of the disk drive.