Re: [linux-lvm] resize an ext3 on an LV

On Wed, 2003-01-29 09:16:15 -0600, Alexander Lazarevich <alazarev@itg.uiuc.edu>
wrote in message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0301290900350.22463-100000@zeus.itg.uiuc.edu>:
> A rehash of some questions I asked earlier, but I want to clarify:
>
> Redhat 7.3, 2.4.18-19.7.xsmp kernel, using LVM 1.03.
>
> I've got a 180GB LV (/dev/homevg/userslv) which contains an ext3
> filesystem (mount point /home/users).
>
> Once I umount the /dev/homevg/userslv, can I use resize2fs to extend the
> ext3 filesystem? Or must I first remove the journal from ext3, then
> resize, then add the journal back to it, then remount?

You can directly enlarge the filesystem, but, of course, you've got to
extend the logical volume before that... You don't need to remove the
journal, at least, this worked numerous times for me:-)

However, backup is always a good idea, though.

MfG, JBG

   "Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur
    fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier Bürger" | im Internet!
   Shell Script APT-Proxy: http://lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/software/ap2/