RE: [linux-lvm] Fun little horror story -- please add to FAQ if it isn't already documented

-- Ben Holness <ben@bens-house.org.uk>

>> Upon the next reboot, the initrd ran fine... found and activated the
>> lv's... but the kernel said "no root partition" and hung.  I could
>> rescue boot the system from the SuSE CD -- everything was there... I
>> finally added a "vgdisplay -v" to the initrd's linuxrc, and
>> that showed me the problem.

We can add it under the general heading of why using
LVM for boot volumes doesn't work on i386 platforms.

Giving /usr its own mount point genrally levaes the
root voume small, static and perfectly happy on a
small partition at the top of your disk. Using a
static link for LVM and installing it in the root
leaves the whole setup quite a bit more dependable.

                                            +1 800 762 1582