[linux-lvm] Kernel panic during booting using root with LVM on top of RAID

Hi LVM experts,

I need your help again, becuase I got an error message during booting and I
couldnīt find out the reason. I went through several times on the archives
but there is not exactly the answer I need. To make your help easier and
included lilo.conf, fstab, raidtab file, and df -k result, too.
First of all the error message at boot time is:

VFS: Cannot open root device "3a00" or 3a:00
Kernel  Panic: Unable to mount root fs on 3a:00
My intention is to mirror every device using Linux software RAID, plus use
LVM on top of them. This is the point where we couldnīt find exact
documentation in either the Software RAID HowTO, or the LVM How-To.
We have the following configuration, including a brief summary about the
steps which we preformed.
I've got a system with four SCSI disks and I use Adaptec SCSI adapter. I use
LILO as the bootloader. We installed Suse 7.1 with Kernel 2.4.0 (LVM and
RAID support in the kernel not as module) using the lvm 1.0.1-rc4 patches
and lvm tools on /dev/sdd. Right now, we partitioned /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1
with 50MB each, and we built out of them /dev/md0 with software RAID-1. This
we would like to use as /boot. The rest of the system on /dev/sda and
/dev/sdb we partitioned in one huge partition each and we built out of them
/dev/md1 with Software RAID-1 and we created vg00 with lvm on top of it.
Then we put a new root logical volume on /dev/vg00/lvol1. We mounted on /mnt
and copied / over to it just fine, then edited /mnt/etc/fstab to put root on
/dev/vg00/lvol1. (The rest of the file systems we left temporary still on
/dev/sdd like /usr, /var, etc.) We created the new filesystems for /boot, /
with mke2fs.
We used lvmcreate_initrd to make /boot/initrd-lvm-2.4.3.gz, and can boot
lilo with initrd. At boot time, it boots the kernel, loads the ram disk,
runs /linuxrc and when it tries to mount the root file system we get the
error message, see above.

We think this is just a configuration issue, please check the files below
and give us some advice how to get the system up and running.
We would like to check the possibility if there is a way to elliminate this
small 50M partition for /boot and integrate that also into the big one under
LVM.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Ferenc Csuk

-----------------------  config files  --------------------------

Content of /etc/lilo.conf:

boot    = /dev/sda
vga     = normal
read-only
menu-scheme = Wg:kw:Wg:Wg
lba32
prompt
timeout = 80
message = /boot/message

  image  = /boot/vmlinuz
  label  = linux
  root   = /dev/sdd1
  initrd = /boot/initrd

  image  = /boot/vmlinuz
  label  = linux_lvm
  root   = /dev/vg00/lvol1
  initrd = /boot/initrd-lvm-2.4.0.gz
  append = "ramdisk_size=8192"
  optional

  image  = /boot/vmlinuz_24
  label  = linux_2.4
  root   = /dev/sdd1
  initrd = /boot/initrd_24
  optional

  image  = /boot/vmlinuz.suse
  label  = suse
  root   = /dev/sdd1
  initrd = /boot/initrd.suse
  optional

  image  = /boot/memtest.bin
  label  = memtest86

Content of /etc/raidtab:

raiddev /dev/md0
        raid-level              1
        nr-raid-disks           2
        nr-spare-disks          0
        chunk-size              4
        persistent-superblock   1
        device                  /dev/sda1
        raid-disk               0
        device                  /dev/sdb1
        raid-disk               1

raiddev /dev/md1
        raid-level              1
        nr-raid-disks           2
        nr-spare-disks          0
        chunk-size              4
        persistent-superblock   1
        device                  /dev/sda2
        raid-disk               0
        device                  /dev/sdb2
        raid-disk               1

Content of /mnt/etc/fstab:

#/dev/sdd1      /       ext2    defaults 1 1
#/dev/sdd2      /boot   ext2    defaults 1 2
/dev/cdrom      /cdrom  auto    ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
devpts  /dev/pts        devpts  defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0        /floppy auto    noauto,user 0 0
/dev/sdd8       /home   ext2    defaults 1 2
/dev/sdd7       /opt    ext2    defaults 1 2
proc    /proc   proc    defaults 0 0
/dev/sdd9       /tmp    ext2    defaults 1 2
/dev/sdd5       /usr    ext2    defaults 1 2
/dev/sdd6       /var    ext2    defaults 1 2
/dev/sdd3       swap    swap    defaults 0 2
#
/dev/vg00/lvol1         /       ext2            defaults 1 1
/dev/md0                /boot   ext2            defaults 1 2