Re: support for IT8586E

Hi Dev,

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 23:27:41 -0400, Dev Anand wrote:
> I got myself a Lenovo z50-75. The fan is always on. And, sensors-detect
> reports the following.
>
> Trying family `ITE'...                                      No
>
> Probing for Super-I/O at 0x4e/0x4f
>
> Trying family `National Semiconductor/ITE'...               Yes
>
> Found unknown chip with ID 0x8586
>

> Appears to be IT8586E. Are there any plans of supporting this chip. I don't
> see it listed on the http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices web site.

It's not listed on ITE's website either. Never heard of that chip. I've
added an entry in the wiki, with your request. But without a datasheet
there's nothing we can do.

Please note that on a laptop the fan is most certainly controlled by
ACPI anyway so a driver for the IT8586E would not necessarily help. If
the fan does not behave the way it should, you should check the BIOS
options and report the problem to the linux-acpi ACPI.

Also check the thinkpad_acpi and ideapad-laptop kernel drivers. There
is no explicit mention of your laptop model there but other Lenovo
laptops are supported so maybe support for your model could/should be
added there.

--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support