Re: Additional PWM driver support for w83792d

On 05/10/2015 10:48 AM, vt8231@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Roger,

Jean specifically suggested adding support for 'registers 0xA3-0xA6 have extra
configuration bits "Sync T1/2/3"'. I suggested to support those through pwmX_enable,
nothing else. You are right, you don't want to change the configuration bits
you referred to. But that is not what I suggested.

Thanks,
Guenter

I apologise - I completely misread your post and hadn't realised what you and Jean
were referring to.

Is the following list of changes that was meant:

1) Only make the pwm[4-7] and pwm[4-7]_enable files present if the corresponding
    enable flags are set in registers 0x1A and 0x4B.  There would be individual
    checks for pwm4 + pwm4_enable, pwm5 + pwm5_enable, pwm6 + pwm6_enable and pwm7
    + pwm7_enable.

Correct, plus pwm[4-7]_mode, though the code to do this check is already there.
All you need to do is to add the new attributes to w83792d_attributes_fan[].

2) Add new pwm_enable modes "Sync T1" (=4), "Sync T2" (=5) and "Sync T3" (=6) for
    PWM 4-7.  I propose the new values so that they don't collide with the existing
    pwm_enable modes for pwm[1-3].  These would not be supported for pwm[1-3] and
    likewise the existing pwm_enable modes would not be supported for pwm[4-7]
    (apart from the manual mode).

Correct. Not sure what the new values should be (4-6 or 1-3). 4-6 may be better.
Jean, what do you think ?

3) Refuse to allow "Sync T1" to be set unless PWM1 is in thermal cruise mode (=3)
    and instead set "stand alone/manual mode" (=1)

4) Refuse to allow "Sync T2" to be set unless PWM2 is in thermal cruise mode (=3)
    and instead set "stand alone/manual mode" (=1)

5) Refuse to allow "Sync T3" to be set unless PWM3 is in thermal cruise mode (=3)
    and instead set "stand alone/manual mode" (=1)

Problem is that pwm[1-3]_enable can be changed _after_ pwm[4-7]_enable was
configured. I would tend to let the user just set pwm[4-7]_enable, and add
a note to the documentation describing what happens if the mantching pwmX_enable
is not set to thermal cruse mode.

Jean, any suggestion ?

Thanks,
Guenter

6) Clean up comments as per Jean's mail

If so, I think I know what to do and should be able to make the changes and have
a new patch available this week.  Can you point me to the correct reference code
for the w83792d driver so that my patch applies cleanly?  My guess would be the
V4.1-rc2 release on kernel.org?

I'll be testing on Ubuntu 15.04 (which is kernel 3.19.0) but hopefully the delta
is minimal for this driver between 3.19.0 and 4.1?

Best regards,

Roger