Re: Z97X-GAMING G1 WIFI-BK - LM-Sensors

On 03/23/2015 07:48 PM, andrew.yu (俞繼智) wrote:
> Dear Sir:
>
> MB: Z97X-GAMING G1 WIFI-BK
> http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4980&kw=GA-Z97X-Gaming%20G1%20WIFI-BK1.0#sp
>
> O.S.: Linux
>
> S/W: LM Sensors
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/lm-sensors/msg43218.html

> Greeting, this is GIGABYTE FAE Andrew.
> One of our Germany users has reported that our MB has trouble showing the whole CPU/SYS FAN info. via LM Sensors.
> This may due to ITE chip is different from our other older MB, we use ITE8620 instead of ITE8728 on this MB.
>
> Due to the S/W is not offered by us, also we’re pretty sure that our S/W EasyTune works fine under Windows O.S..
> It’s hard for us to know what exact info. you need for further study.
>
> Can you please let us know what info. you need to improve?
> Also please note that unless you sign the NDA document, we can only provide datasheet info. partly in screenshot.

Andrew,

thanks a lot for getting in touch.

Unfortunately, we would want to use the information we get to write and publish a driver
as open source. Since the purpose of an NDA is to prevent us from publishing the information
obtained under that NDA, that would not be possible.

The following is a list of information we would need to get a better understanding of the chip.
Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to specify all information we need without access to the datasheet,
so this list is probably incomplete.

- We know that the board in question supports up to seven fans, four of which are connected
  on the customer's board. Yet, the current driver only displays the speed for two fans.
  Normally ITE chips only support up to five fans. The standard ITE registers are as follows.
	fan speed (low byte): 0x0d, 0x0e, 0x0f, 0x80, 0x82.
	fan speed (high byte): 0x18, 0x19, 0x1a, 0x81, 0x83
	min fan speed: 0x10, 0x11, 0x12, 0x84, 0x86
	min fan speed (high byte): 0x1b, 0x1c, 0x1d, 0x85, 0x87
  We would need to know if there are more / other registers for the additional fans,
  and how to read the fan speed for the various fans.
  If there is a multiplexer on the board to alternatively select fans, we would need to know
  how to program it.
- On some ITE chips, it is possible to program if the chip reports fan speed as 16-bit or as 8-bit value.
  This is done with registers 0x0b (fan divisor) and 0x0c. We would need to know the definition
  of those registers.
- We would need to know the definition of registers 0x13 and 0x14 since it differs across various
  ITE chips.
- Normally, ITE chips support up to three PWM controls. Registers are
	pwm: 0x15, 0x16, 0x17
	pwm duty cycle: 0x63 + (n * 8)
  We would need to know the definition of those registers to ensure that pwm control
  is working, and we would need to know other registers if more than three pwm controls are
  supported.
- The CPU temperature reported for the board is -128 degrees C, which is obviously wrong.
  We can only conclude that the temperature is wrongly reported, but we don't know why.
  The definitions of registers 0x51 and 0x55 might help us to determine what is wrong.
- We currently assume that the chip has a 12mV ADC LSB. Is this correct ?
- We currently assume that the chip supports three temperature registers at 0x29, 0x2a, and 0x2b.
  Is this correct ?
- We currently assume that the chip has temperature offset registers at 0x56, 0x57, 0x59.
  Is this correct ?
- The various ITE chips use several SIO registers in SIO page 7 to configure the chip
  for a specific board, mostly to enable different fan speed/control and voltage sensor channels.
  SIO registers commonly used for this purpose are 0x25, 0x27, 0x29, 0x2a, and 0x2c.
  We would need to know the specification for those registers plus of all other SIO registers
  used to configure the chip's fan control and voltage sensors for a given board.

Thanks,
Guenter