Re: nct6775 on Asus Z97-A not working with new BIOS

On 09/23/2014 06:37 PM, Ulrike wrote:
Hello,
I'm having trouble reading fan speeds and voltages on my Asus Z97-A.
The Super I/O chip is a Nuvoton nct6791d. It initially worked under
BIOS version 902 by loading nct6775, but when I upgraded to the latest
BIOS version (1304) for better compatibility with the i7-4790k, it
stopped working. I downgraded the BIOS back to version 902 and it
worked again right away. I tried the next BIOS version 1008 and it
failed to work.

Can you check if there is any output in sensors-detect,
specifically any error messages from the driver and/or some message
about ACPI resource conflicts ?

Thanks,
Guenter

The relevant part from sensors-detect:

Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Nuvoton/Fintek'...               Yes
Found unknown chip with ID 0xc803
     (logical device B has address 0x290, could be sensors)
<

nct6775 is still loaded:

lsmod | grep nct
nct6775                55222  0
hwmon_vid              12783  1 nct6775

'sensors' returns temperatures for acpitz-virtual-0 and coretemp-isa-0000.
I'm running Xubuntu, kernel is 3.13.0-36, and I use the version of
nct6775.ko that came with the kernel.

I would like to use BIOS 1008 or later for the better support for my
CPU. Is there any way to get the voltage and fan readout to work?

Thanks,
  Ulrike