Re: Dell Latitude E6440 & i8k

On Sunday 18 May 2014 10:19:10 Jean Delvare wrote:
> Please leave the list in Cc.

Sorry I forgot, but after that I resent original message to list.

> On Sun, 18 May 2014 00:52:13 +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:
> > Do you know if there is any way to extract BIOS SMM code? Or
> > it is something which is not possible to do from OS/kernel
> > side?
>
> If you download a BIOS update for your laptop from Dell, the
> SMM code is certainly somewhere in the binary blob which gets
> flashed to the EEPROM. But extracting that code from there
> would certainly be challenge.

Yes extracting it from bios flashing image was only idea which I
got and I doubt I can do it... (specially when dell bios is
compressed and image itself contains flashing program...)

What I now found is this table of SMM commands:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2008/12/18/44

So it looks like SMM data are in some NBSVC.MDM binary. Do you
know something more about it?

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx